8.12.2013

Fixel

I accidentally talked my way into the Figment art festival.  I met one of the organizers at a workshop last spring.  The festival principles really appealed to me.

I decided it would be fun to make a pixel system in real space.  And so I ended up creating a platform for spontaneous creation.  A grid of blocks suspended on wire in a frame, and bearing different colors for image-ing.

Allowing the object to be unattended, I taped some of these concept-demo-inspire pictures to the side.

I also wrote an "instructions" panel and attached it to the top.  It said:

PHYSICAL PIXEL ENGINE.  TRUE PLATFORMIC INTERACTION.
CREATE IMAGE/MESSAGE BY COLORCUBE ROTATIONAL MEDITATION.
TAKE A PHOTOGRAPH.  EMAIL YOUR PICTURE TO: HMACHN@GMAIL.COM
XOXO [signature] 2013

Naturally, the last part is optional.  I want to collect the images that people make on Fixel, but a fixeler (participant)'s goal might be more ephemeral and that's OK too.

This was a prototype.  I have many ideas for improvements to be made for the next iteration.  Below are pictures of Fixel at the festival.  Thanks very much to the people who sent them in!  You are great!















FIGM
ENT
CHI  13
GPC

This is how I left Fixel after I placed it.










:)



You're welcome!  It was cool to meet you later at the Red Curtain stage. 





Fixel








Fixel

Sent from the Milky Way via Neptune...









It's a whale?


I think I see it.  Is it facing left?





Pacuman Fixel             

Had a great time with your piece!


Awesome!  I'm so glad.  And I love Pacman, too.








Love!


I got two very nice pictures featuring these young ladies who stopped by to fixelate after their visit to Camp Mustache.






Mustache!





This heart fixelation was composed by someone who did not send it to me, but I saw it when I happened to walk by.



This fixelation was also captured by me.  I got to meet the trio of fixelers, though.  They were finishing just as the festival was closing.  I was on hand to pick up the piece.  I sat back about 20 feet while they finished.  As they left, one asked if I could tell what it was.  "Of course, it's a Christmas tree," I said.  We high fived and they walked away; then I took the picture.  That was a really nice end to the event for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment